Tanglewood Resort Golf Stay & Play Review
Tanglewood Resort is nestled on the rolling tree-lined hills above above beautiful Lake Texoma and is an outstanding resort and conference center. Here you can experience great accommodations, 900 acres of secluded surrounding for peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of city life, enjoy some very good cuisine, partake in a wide variety of recreational activities, and play a championship 18 hole golf course. Located about 80 miles north of Dallas or DFW airport makes Tanglewood an easy place to escape for a weekend or week long vacation. The Resort is also an excellent venue for a corporate meeting or retreat, wedding, or reunion.
With over 200 guest rooms, Tanglewood offers a dozen different room types from which to choose including standard hotel rooms to fully furnished two bedroom condominiums to the very unique and unusual Tower Rooms. Tanglewood has a lot of information on their website about accommodations including pictures and video tours.
The Tower Rooms are in the 8 story tower with one room per floor. Request the Tower Room with a Jacuzzi or one the rooms on the 6th or 7th floor and you'll have a magnificent 180 degree view of the hills, marina, and Lake Texoma from one of the three private balconies. Each room is much larger than a standard hotel room, has a king size bed, shower, wet bar, and nice antiques including an oversized claw-foot tub.
If you want to surprise and impress your best friend or spouse with an engagement, anniversary, or just a romantic get-a-way, then book a tower room and ask about Tanglewood's "Wine & Roses Sweetheart Package" which includes the room, breakfast, plus champagne or wine, a fruit basket, and fresh roses placed in your room prior to your arrival. All of that is bound to win you some points and lasting memories!
The Villas are across the street from the hotel in three three story buildings. You can rent a one bedroom Villa which has two queen beds, kitchenette, bathroom, and small balcony. Better yet, for larger groups or families ask for the Master Villas. The Master Villas are 1100 square feet and have:
- a large living area with a sleeper sofa, fireplace, and dining room with a table and chairs
- small balcony, some of which have fantastic views of the marina, hills, and Lake Texoma
- a 32" TV, radio and DVD player with sub woofer speaker system
- hidden washer and dryer in the entry way
- well equipped large kitchen with dishwasher, refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, and microwave
- a huge master suite with jacuzzi, king bed, marble shower, two sinks, walk in closets, and private balcony
One of the advantages of staying in the Villas is that each Villa can be converted into a two bedroom unit with would then include the Master Villa and the one bedroom Villa and accommodate a larger family or two or three couples. With both units you have up to 1500 square feet to spread out and enjoy. The Villas are very clean, spacious and elegantly appointed with custom built comfortable furniture, home entertainment systems, and a cozy fireplace.
We stayed in the Master Villa and loved it - it was immaculate, spacious, decorated nicely, quiet, well equipped, and very comfortable. We can't wait to go back again. Tanglewood has some excellent pictures, descriptions, and virtual tours of the Villas.
Tanglewood has 120 hotel rooms in a five story building that also includes the reception area, restaurant, and meeting rooms. The rooms on the west side top story have fantastic views of the surrounding hills and Lake Texoma. Each of the standard hotel rooms are spacious, well appointed. and equipped to meet the needs of the business traveler as well as vacation guests. There are also suites on the fourth and fifth floor.
Some of what makes a trip to Tanglewood fun are the fantastic amenities that you can enjoy. There is an excellent restaurant that serves a very good breakfast buffet, lunch, and dinner. At most resorts, as a captive guest, the resort charges an arm and a leg for meals, this is not the case at Tanglewood. For example, a very complete breakfast buffet was only $10 and dinner entrees, which include everything from chateaubriand for two to veal piccata ranged from $16 to $29. We had outstanding back fin crab cakes as an appetizer, a very good french onion soup, a caesar salad, an excellent salmon with a lobster cream sauce, and a tasty pepper steak - mmmmmm, good!. There is also an excellent wine cellar with plenty of good choices to compliment your meal.
There are a couple very nice bars to relax and unwind - Cleo's is on the lower level by the pool area and the Yacht club, which is next to the restaurant, has very comfortable setting with leather couches and chairs, a great bar, and more. Head up to the top of the tower and the Tower Bar for a magnificent panoramic view of the hills, lake, and marina and enjoy a Starbucks coffee in the morning, a cocktail and music at night, or a beautiful sunrise or sunset from the observation tower. When you check in, ask for the live entertainment schedule - you'll usually find music in one of the three bars.
The Tranquility Spa and Salon can relax you body and renew your spirit with a variety of services including: massage therapy, manicures, pedicures, facials and skin care, hair salon service, body wraps and scrubs, kids spa, and more. The Spa has a variety of packages from a full day to a half hour to fit your pleasure and budget, plus packages designed for couples, triple messages, or my favorite the "Weekend Warrior Massage" for those of us who overindulge in too many activities and need to work out the kinks in those sore and tired muscles.
Some of the other amenities include:
- in in-ground jacuzzi and four refreshing swimming pools with small waterfalls between each pool
- lighted tennis courts, volleyball, horseshoes, croquet, and basketball
- exercise room
- pool side snack bar with a full bar, sandwiches, and hot dogs to enjoy at the pool
- bicycle rentals
- small store with snacks, ice cream, and souvenirs
- kids play room including babysitting services
- wireless internet
- game room and complimentary board games
- DVD movie rentals
- picnic table and grill
- complimentary fishing poles
For your entertainment, Tanglewood also sponsors a number of activities, primarily during the prime season, which can include: live music, trips to the Choctaw Casino, Monday night football with free appetizers, Sunset Cruises, bingo, paintball, wine and cheese socials, shopping excursions, and much more.
Weddings, Corporate Meetings, Executive Retreats, and Reunions
Whether you are planning a wedding, corporate meeting, or reunion, Tanglewood is a perfect location and there are Professional Event Planners on call to assist you. Just relax and leave the details to Tanglewood - they are committed to making your visit to the resort and conference center a truly memorable experience!
Tanglewood offers several excellent venues for indoor or outdoor weddings. You have a wide choice of rooms, decorations, and catering services for the rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception. You could even choose to have the rehearsal dinner or wedding on a beautiful houseboat as you cruise the lake and enjoy a magnificent sunset or beach the boat and say your vows on a sandy beach. Before or after parties could be in any of the meeting rooms, the Tower Lounge, Yacht Club bar, or pool side. After the wedding, spend your honeymoon evening in one of the Tower Suites with a Jacuzzi and magnificent panoramic view of the resort, lake, and countryside. Your guests will enjoy the wide range of activities and amenities offered by Tanglewood.
Corporate Meetings or Executive Retreats
For meetings and corporate retreats, Tanglewood's state-of-the-art conference center offers over 12,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space. There are nine private rooms that can accommodate groups of ten to five hundred. Planners can help you with team building exercises, competitive games (tennis, volleyball, basketball, croquet), island parties on Lake Texoma's beautiful sandy beaches, party boat charters or dinner cruises, fishing trips or tournaments, or golf outings.
What a great place to schedule a family, social, or any type of reunion or get together. Tanglewood is close to the DFW metroplex and airport and easy for any Oklahoma guests to get to. Best of all there are a wide variety of meeting or banquet rooms to accommodate your group and plenty of activities to keep you entertained, including:
- schedule a golf tournament
- get the games going with basketball, volleyball, and tennis
- rent a pontoon, ski boat, and wave runner and enjoy the lake
- charter the Fastrac houseboat for a beach BBQ, day cruise of the lake, or a sunset dinner and dance cruise
- have a fishing contest using some of the local fishing guides
Tanglewood's Golf Course was designed by Arnold Palmer and renowned architect Ralph Plummer and was completed in 1973. The greens were completely renovated in late 2007 and are the first to use Diamond Zoysia. Some of the bunkers were also renovated - lets hope you don't have to experience the soft new sand! Tanglewood offers golf lessons and has a great driving range and putting green. For tournaments, banquets, or other special events, there is a large meeting space above the clubhouse with views of the course, hills, and lake, and offers golf lessons. There is a well equipped pro shop and snack bar serving burgers and sandwiches. Read our review of this great resort course.
Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center is located on a bluff above one of the prettiest lakes in Texas - Lake Texoma. With over 89,000 acres of water and 580 miles of shoreline, Texoma offers excellent coves for anchoring, skiing and wakeboarding; clear cool water for swimming; lake restaurants; and wonderful sandy beaches for partying, socializing, or relaxing in your lawn chair or floatie.
If you like fishing, Lake Texoma is well known as the best lake for striper fishing. Lake Texoma holds the state record for the the largest catfish - 126 pounds and 5 feet long! The front desk can make arrangements for boat rentals or fishing with an experienced fishing guide. Or you can click on the Lake Texoma fishing guides or boat rentals link to find and book your own.
To learn more about Lake Texoma and what to see and do, where to ski, fish, party, and eat. read the Lake Texoma Review.
Nearby Activities and Fun Things to Do
Here is a list of some things to see and do at Tanglewood or nearby:
- Get Outside!
- Play volleyball, tennis, croquet, or basketball and then enjoy the cool pool water
- Go Golf - hit the links at Tanglewood and then try some other nearby courses - a couple of our other favorites are nearby Northern Challenge and Chickasaw Pointe on the Oklahoma side of the lake
- Go for a bike ride (rent some bikes at the office) or take a hike along the 14 mile the scenic Cross Timbers trail (Juniper Point Recreation Area) along the southern shoreline of Lake Texoma
- Get out on the water - go fishing with a guide, rent a boat or waverunner, go for a sunset or diner cruise with Fastrac Charters, or contact Island View Boat Rentals and use their taxi service to get to and from the islands for a picnic
- Tanglewood typically has some live music in the Tower Lounge or Yacht Club
- Pompano's, in Lowe's Highpoint Marina is a short walk or drive down the hill and a very lively bar with a fun crowd and live entertainment - they were closed on our visit in September 2007 due to flood damage so check to see if they are open
- Buzzard's Too in Pottsboro has live music and/or karaoke and a fun crowd
- Gene's Hamburger Haven has an outdoor music venue and usually attracts some excellent country musicians
- On the northeast side of the lake at Catfish Bay Marina is Carlotta's Cantina - a lively and fun floating bar with live music
- Nearby Denison and Sherman have a number of fun bars and restaurants
- Lake Texoma
- we love to cruise the marina at Lowe's and look at all the huge boats and unique way some of the slip renters have converted their slips into weekend hideaways called Dockominiums
- is doesn't get any better than spending some time on either Wood Island or North Island enjoying the crowd, sandy beach, and cool water
- Big Mineral cove, near the dam, Little Mineral cove, or along the southern bluffs (depending on wind direction and boat wakes) are excellent for skiing, tubing, or boarding
- Restaurants - the restaurant in the resort is very good, but if you have to get out, there are a few choices nearby. For lakeside dining that you can boat to (or drive) there are normally some good restaurants on the water but most of them were damaged during the 2007 food and are currently rebuilding, so give them a call before you head over. Some of the best on the water include: Pelican's Landing at Cedar Mills Marina, Pompanos at Lowe's Highport is just down the hill from Tanglewood, and The Point at Grandpappy's sits on a bluff with a beautiful view of the lake. Just down the road on 120 is De Happy Cajun Restaurant serving good seafood or Buzzard's Too in Pottsboro for burgers and sandwiches
- Some other things to see and do include:
- antique shopping in Denison
- fish for stipers and enjoy fresh fish for dinner
- visit the two nearby casinos and try to wind some money to pay for your wonderful stay at Tanglewood - Choctaw near Durant and WinStar on the west side of the lake on I-35
- schedule your trip around some of the special yearly events on or near Lake Texoma (4th of July fireworks on the lake is fantastic, if you like sailing attend the Lake Texoma Lakefest Regatta, the Whitesboro Peanut Festival, or Sherman Arts Festival)
- visit the birthplace of President Eisenhower
- drive across the Lake Texoma Dam
- explore the 8,000 acre Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
The 2007 readers of Lake Texoma Life, a local magazine, voted the following the Best of Lake Texoma:
- The Point at Grandpappy's won best dining with a view and Pompanos won best margarita and best bar
- Longhorn Ranch in Whitesboro had the best steak, Buzzard's Too in Pottsboro had the best burger, and Hucks in Dennison had the best catfish, and Pelican's Landing at Cedar Mills Marina was voted best restaurant
- North Island was voted best beach and island for partying
- Carlotta's Cantina won best place to dance
- best hotel was Tanglewood, best cabin rental was Last Chance Hideaway, and Cedar Mills was voted best place to camp
In summary, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Tanglewood and wish it could have been longer. We found the staff to be very friendly, courteous, and helpful. All of resort facilities were clean and well maintained. Some portions of the resort are somewhat dated but actively being renovated. The Villas are fantastic - very roomy, comfortable, and convenient to everything. Lake Texoma is a Texas Outside Favorite Lake and the Tanglewood golf course is excellent and an enjoyable 18 holes of golf.
Tanglewood offers some very attractive packages that give you a choice of rooms and can include a combination of lodging, restaurant and drink coupon, boat rental discounts, babysitting coupon, massages, fishing trips, golf, or golf lessons. When you call to make a reservation ask about their 3 day, 2 night packages and save yourself some money.