Fun N Sun RV Resort Review & Rating
Fun N Sun RV Resort Overview:
Review of Fun N Sun RV Resort - San Benito Texas
Fun N Sun RV Resort is an age qualified Resort about a mile from Interstate 77/83 which means you have very easy access to all of the things to see and do in the Rio Grande Valley as well as South Padre Island.
The Resort has 1400 sites that are a mixture of RV sites, park models for sale and rent, and mobile homes. The Resort is clean, well maintained, landscaped with towering palm trees, and the roads are all paved. The Resort also has a gate attendant as well as security.
Winter Texans, retirees, and travelers like us trying to escape the cold weather flock to Fun N Sun Resort during the winter season primarily to enjoy the Valley’s mild climate and all of the Resort’s amenities and activities.
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
Fun N Sun’s 1400 sites include lots with mobile homes for residents, park models that are available for rent or purchase, and a mixture of RV sites.
There are 7 one bedroom fully furnished park models available for rent for a minimum of three months or more. The park models are furnished with everything you need for an extended stay in the Valley.
The 900 or so RV sites are a mixture of pull throughs or back-in sites. All of the sites are full hookups with water, 30/50 AMP service, free cable TV hook-up, and sewer – all of which are conveniently located. The premium sites have a brick patio with a colored concrete patio table and bench seats and these sites seem a little larger with more grass separating each site. The RV parking pad is paved and there is also a concrete parking pad for your tow vehicle. Each of these sites is long and wide enough to accommodate big rigs with tow vehicles. The streets are wide enough that maneuvering into your site is easy.
Some of the back-in sites have a long concrete pad that serves as a patio and car parking pad - you park the RV on the grass next to the pad. Other back-in sites are all grass with no concrete pad. All of the sites are level and side by side and the back-in sites are about 40' by 25'.
One of the reasons Fun N Sun is so popular is because it is loaded with fun things to do. If you like games, you can:
- Practice your golf swing at the driving range and your putting on the putting green
- Join a game of sand volleyball, softball, bocce ball, pentaque, horseshoes, or shuffleboard on the air conditioned courts
- Play tennis on one of the two tennis courts or practice with the ball machine or take a tennis lesson
- Cool off in the pool or take an exercise class or play water volleyball
- Shoot a game of pool or billiards on any of the 10 tables or play some table tennis
- Join a game of bingo, poker, or dominos
- Fly a kite on the kite field
The Resort is also alive with all sorts of clubs and arts and crafts groups like a computer club, sewing and basket weaving, lapidary, fishing, ham radio, dance, wood working, fitness, or music. In support of some of these activities there is a woodworking shop loaded with every woodworking tool you can imagine, a music room, a crafts and sewing room, a card/game room, and art room.
Some of the other things that you’ll find at Fun N Sun RV Resort include:
- ten-person spa, a large heated swimming pool, and a spacious deck area with patio tables, lawn chairs and chaises
- Restroom and showers
- A barber shop as well as a beauty shop
- A small as well as a large dog run
- Activity rooms, a dance hall, and a multi purpose recreation hall
- Fitness center and library
An activities director and staff will help you get involved in any of the above plus on a monthly basis they sponsor or support a wide variety of activities and special events, some of which include: arts and crafts fairs, dances, pot luck dinners, bingo, live entertainment, craft shows, ice cream socials, sing-alongs, health fairs, tours, golf and other tournaments, and more.
It’s not surprising that the motto for Fun N Sun RV Resort is “We have the most fun program in the sun…” It’s impossible to not find something of interest and fun to do.
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
Like most of the people we talked to, most of which have a very distinct Canadian, Minnesotans, or east coast accent, we stayed at Fun N Sun RV Resort to escape the January cold weather in Dallas and to play some golf in the Valley. Some of the nearby golf courses that we enjoyed include: South Padre Island, Tony Butler, and Harlingen Country Club.
And we can’t stay here without participating in at least some of the activities so we played shuffleboard, sand volleyball, and a couple games of pool and ping pong.
Cool Nearby Activities:
But if you do need to escape the Resort, you'll find lots to see and do nearby from attractions to the beach to golf to museums and zoos. Here is a site that has a good list of what to do in the Rio Grande Valley.
If you like golf, there are lots of good options and choices - here is our list of the Best Rio Grande Valley Golf Courses and our rating and reviews of the courses we have played.
If you like the beach, Fun N Sun is about 40 minutes from South Padre Island and all it has to offer. Check our list of things to do in South Padre - horseback riding, fishing, ATVs, parasailing, pirate ship cruise, and more.
Here is a link to our South Padre Island Winter Vacation article that is loaded with stuff to see and do in South Padre Island.
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of Fun N Sun RV Resort
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more