Sunshine RV Resort Review & Rating
Sunshine RV Resort Overview:
Review of Sunshine RV Resort - Harlingen
Sunshine RV Resort in Harlingen is one of several Encore & Thousand Trails RV parks spread throughout Texas and one of the 10 Rio Grande Valley RV Resorts - here is a link to find their other Texas RV Parks.
Sunshine RV Resort has over 1060 sites that are a mixture of RV sites, park models, and mobile homes. RV sites are available on a daily to long term rental basis and the park models are available for a three month period or longer. Other park models and mobile home are available for sale.
The Resort is well maintained, secure, and landscaped with tall palm trees and a variety of local fauna. The streets are lighted and paved and wide enough to easily maneuver your rig into a site.
Sunshine RV Resort is in the "Deep South" which is famous for its warm southern hospitality, a wide array of fascinating historical sites, natural wonders, and cultural attractions around the area. As such, the Resort is a Mecca for retirees and winter Texans escaping from the cold northern temperatures.
The staff is very friendly and outgoing as are the guests - it's hard to go anywhere without someone waving, saying "hi," or stopping by for a greeting. The guests, mostly winter Texans and retirees from around the United States during the winter months, are very active and participate in the events and activities and enjoy all of the Resort amenities. You have to be a hermit not to make some new friends during your stay, in fact the Resorts motto is "where friends meet new friends."
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
Sunshine RV Resort is split into two sections - lakeside and the main Resort. The lakeside section is about 3 blocks from the main resort and as the name implies it is centered around a small lake with a water fountain in the center. This section has a few park models, back-in full hook-up RV sites, a clubhouse with a fitness center, rec room, laundry room, restrooms and showers, and a very nice pool area. The RV sites on this side are classified as Lakeview Supersites (back-in with water, sewer, 30/50/100 AMP service, paved parking pad and patio with RV parking on the paved pad) or Lakeview Full Hook-up sites which have water, sewer, 50/100 AMP service, paved parking pad and patio, and RV parking on the grass. Some other back-in sites back up against a tall hedge that is closer to some freeway noise. This side of the park is more open and the sites seem a little more spacious but are all side by side with grass between each site.
The RV sites in the main part of Sunshine RV Resort are a combination of back-in and pull through sites and segmented into:
- pull through full hook-ups - these are our favorites and include a long level paved RV parking pad, very convenient hook-ups, patio with circular patio table and seats
- premium full hook-ups - 30/50 AMP and paved patio
- standard full hook-ups - 30/50 AMP but with no paved patio and back-in RV parking on the grass
All of the sites are level, most are long and wide enough for the big rigs, and all of them should be easy to get into. Hook-ups are conveniently located and within easy reach. They are side by side and you'll most likely get to know your neighbor.
In addition to RV sites, Sunshine RV Resort has 4 park models and 1 trailer for rent for a minimum of three months or longer. They are one bedroom with a bathroom, kitchen, living area, and are fully furnished with everything you need for an extended stay.
The three things we really like about staying at Sunshine RV Resort are that the staff and guests are friendly and outgoing, the sites are good, and the amenities are excellent. Some of the amenities include:
- two heated pools and two spas/jacuzzis
- fitness center, woodworking shop loaded with tools, craft shop, and game room
- a huge ballroom/rec room for dances, parties, socials, live entertainment, and more
- laundry room, showers and restrooms, mail center, several meeting rooms, computer and business center with a fax and copy machine
- restaurant, mini-mart, RV storage, propane, ice, and more
If you like games there are 14 shuffleboard courts, 3 horseshoe pits, Petanque Game Court, volleyball courts, and 2 bocce ball courts plus ping pong tables, several pool and billiards tables, and a golf net plus game rooms set up for cards or dominos. And it's never hard to find a game to join, the guests are very active and the Resort sponsors intra as well as inter park tournaments. In addition there are several clubs/groups for exercise classes, drama, biking, golfing, arts and crafts, woodworking and more as well as classes on fitness, Spanish, square dancing, and several more.
On top of all that there is an activities director and staff that will keep you posted on all of the weekly and monthly events some of which include: jam sessions, fish friess, pot lucks, bingo, art fairs, dances, ice cream socials, live entertainment, guided tours, tournaments, gaming, fitness classes, and more. Some of the daily activities include: card bingo, breakfast buffets, UNO, wood carving, volleyball or shuffleboard games, golf at a local course, water fitness, bridge, and lots more.
Next door and between the lake side part of the Resort is Sunshine Estates, a small private residential community, which has a nine hole par three course that guests of Sunshine RV Resort can play.
You can't help but find something of interest that you'll enjoy doing and get to meet and make new friends. As soon as you arrive, your first stop should be the activity center to pick up the weekly, monthly, and live show schedules
name of the lake area, number of sites, all back in, length, park models for rent,
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
We stayed at Sunshine RV Resort in January to escape the cold north Texas weather and to play and review some of the local golf courses. We did get to meet several guests from around the northern states, play some dominos, and play a couple games of ping pong and pool. We only wish we could of spent more time in the Resort to enjoy more of the amenities and take in some of the local attractions - maybe next year.
Cool Nearby Activities:
One of the advantages of staying at Southern Comfort RV Resort is that they have enough activities and things to do to keep you busy every day from dawn to midnight.
But if you do need to escape the Resort, you'll find lots to see and do nearby from attractions to the beach to golf to museums and zoos. Here is a site that has a good list of what to do in the Rio Grande Valley. Sunshine RV Resort's website also has a page of nearby things to see and do.
If you like golf, there are lots of good options and choices - here is our list of the Best Rio Grande Valley Golf Courses and our rating and reviews of the courses we have played.
If you like the beach, you're not that far from South Padre Island and all it has to offer. Check our list of things to do in South Padre - horseback riding, fishing, ATVs, parasailing, pirate ship cruise, and more.
Here is a link to our South Padre Island Winter Vacation article that is loaded with stuff to see and do in South Padre Island.
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of Sunshine RV Resort
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more