WinStar RV Park Review & Rating
WinStar RV Park Overview:
If you're looking for an overnight stop, a place to stay while you explore the local area, or an RV park with a shuttle service to the casino so you can gamble or enjoy some great entertainment or to the golf course for a round of golf, then WinStar RV park is the perfect destination. This new park opened in September 2009 and has 164 sites for RVs and tent camping and it's less than a half mile to the casino and to the WinStar Golf Course.
All of the facilities and amenities are new and clean, the sites are long and level, and the roads are paved and easy to navigate. Trees have been planted but most of the sites aren't shaded. The terrain is open and flat.
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
WinStar RV Park has 164 sites - 41 long pull throughs up to 80 feet long, 111 back-ins sites that are up to 50 feet long, and 12 tent only sites. All of the RV sites have 20/30/50 AMP service, sewer hookups, picnic tables, and a grill. The sites are paved and level with grass on each side.
Unique to WinStar RV Park and a fantastic feature of the park is that all of the pull through sites are not only long and level but each site has full hook-up capabilities on each side of the parking pad, plus two picnic tables on cement pads, and two 2 grills. One of the sides has an extra large cement patio and both side have a 8 to 10 feet of grass. We loved this feature - it made it easy to camp with friends with the RVs facing door to door and sharing a common picnic table and we didn't have to add extensions to the dump hose or electrical cords to hook up. The other major advantage of these sites is that if you don't know your neighbor, you can park at the opposite end of where he is parked which gives both of you more room and space. A fantastic feature!
Some of the WinStar RV Park amenities include:
- game room with pool table, video games, and air hockey
- basketball court and horseshoe pit
- indoor/outdoor pavilion with a sink, refrigerator, and a large BBQ grill
- two restroom facilities with individual showers
- two playgrounds
- paved and lit pet path with clean-up stations
- trash receptacles on each end of the sites which are emptied daily
WinStar RV Park has a 24 hour 7 days a week free shuttle service to the casino as well as a complimentary shuttle to the WinStar Golf Course. Both are within a 15 minute walk from you site. There is also 24 hour security service to keep all of your casino winnings safe.
A number of new amenities are planned for 2010 including a swimming pool. Until the new pool is built, park visitors can use the pool at the Inn which is within a half mile of your site.
Service is excellent - friendly, helpful, and very courteous. You'll enjoy your stay in this new and meticulously maintained and very clean RV park.
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
We stayed at WinStar RV Park to spend some time at the casino, enjoy some of the good food, play some golf, and attend one of WinStar's music events. WinStar World Casino has some outstanding entertainment lined up for 2010 some of which includes: Stoney LaRue, Lyle Lovett, Dionne Warwick, Jerry Jeff Walker, Joe Ely, Trace Adkins, Cross Canadian Ragweed, and Glen Campbell!
We also enjoy playing the WinStar Golf Course - a fun and challenging 18 holes. Read our review of WinStar Golf Course to learn more about why we like this course. And you can catch a shuttle to and from the course.
And we can't leave the area without visiting Lake Murray for water recreation, mountain biking some of the great hiking and biking trails, or to play golf at the Lake Murray State Park Golf Course.
On a recent stay, we zipped down to Gainsville, 12 miles south, one evening to dance, eat, and listen to the music at Hubcaps Wings & Sports Bar - one of the best honky tonks in Texas.
Cool Nearby Activities:
If you get tired of gambling, the live music, the great food, or golfing then here are some nearby things to see and do:
- Lake Texoma is within 30 minutes and it has great fishing, boat rentals, fishing guides, golf courses, and lots more - read our review of Lake Texoma
- Turner Falls is about an hour up the road and it has a fantastic swimming hole with a waterfall, hiking trails, 3 caves, and more
- the Arbuckle Mountains and Chickasaw National Rec Area are also within an hour - a beautiful nature escape
- if you feel the need to shop, the Gainsville Outlet Mall is within 20 minutes
- Lake Murray State Park is just up the road and they have a fun golf course, a beautiful lake, good fishing, and boat rentals
- if you have ATVs, then head to Red River Motorcycle Trails - voted #1 Best Offroad Destination in Texas
But why leave the area when you have WinStar World Casino with several good options for dining, gambling, great live entertainment, and a fantastic golf course? And before you leave, zip over to WinStar's spa and get a massage, facial, or other treatment.
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of WinStar RV Park
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more