Fun Things To Do In Abilene
Visit Abilene, the defining city of West Texas, where the frontier spirit is still applied to discovery, development and creativity. Abilene is in a central location - just 150 miles west of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex - and is home to 120,000 friendly people. Relax, explore and enjoy the mix of western heritage, contemporary culture and traditional values.
- Go to an interactive Museum - There are many opportunities to learn more about the history of Texas and, in particular, the city of Abilene. Check out Frontier Texas where you experience history, adventure, and legends by traveling down a winding pathway through the Century of Adventure where the legends of the Old West comes to life. Their theaters provide an introduction to Texas history. You actually meet the people in state-of-the-art technology as they play out their lives on the frontier. The Grace Museum has it all including an Art Museum with incredible exhibitions; a History Museum depicting life in early Abilene; an exciting, hands-on, interactive Children's Museum. The National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature celebrates the authors through exhibits of their original artwork.
- Go Paddling on the Lake - rent a SUP (stand up paddleboard) or kayak from and go paddling on Lake Fort Phantom
- Walk a historic downtown - Trolley buses provide free transportation to this interesting historic area listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Many buildings dating back as early as 1906.
- Visit the Zoo -Abilene Zoo is the home to over 600 animals including 5 adorable lion cubs, and the endangered species, the ocelot. The opening of the Elm Creek Backyard is an exciting new addition to the zoo with a wonderful assortment of local wildlife from armadillos to cougars, turtles to turkeys playing in this beautifully landscaped facility.
- Go dancing - The Lucky Mule's mission statement seems to be working tirelessly to master one thing...how to throw the wildest, craziest, and best party in town every single night. Whether you are at the Lucky Mule to celebrate a birthday, listen to your favorite Texas country singer, or dance to the Top 40 or hip-hop they are confident that you will have a good time.
- Go to the park - Abilene State Park is a scenic park covering 1,612 acres along Elm Creek. Once a resting place for the Comanche Indians. You will find hiking & nature trails, picnic sites with playground areas, swimming pool, birding and wildlife observation, biking and hiking trails. You can also find bird watching and nature trails at Big Country Audubon Society and Cedar Gap Farm. Biking and mountain biking trails can be found at Buck Creek Trails.
- Play some golf - There are three public courses: Diamondback, Maxwell Municipal, and Willow Creek. You can also find disc golf courses in Abilene: Cal Young Park, wildcat Disc Golf Course and Will Hair Park.