Dana Peak Park Review & Rating
Locate This Park
Dana Peak Park Overview:
Dana Peak Park is a US Army Corp of Engineer Park on the shore of the 6,430 acre Stillhouse Hollow Lake. The terrain is flat, dry, and has limited trees - but the sites are great and right on the water. You can read a review of Stillhouse Hollow Lake by clicking here.
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
Dana Peak Park is small and only has 14 RV sites with water and 30 amp electricity plus 8 primitive tent sites and 5 tent sites with electricity. Some of the sites have very nice covered picnic tables and a grill. The sites have picnic tables, limited to no shade, but all the sites are a few yards from the water. There is a picnic area, boat ramp, group pavilion, playground, horse corral, and dump station. The primitive sites and sites 1 to 16 are on a protected cove which is good for swimming or boat parking.
Dana Peak also has over 10 miles of hiking, biking, and equestrian trails that are challenging and provide some awesome views of the surrounding areas. Do a Google search on Dana Peak Trails to learn more. At the entrance to Dana Peak you can get a trail map.
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
Stillhouse Hollow Lake is a clean and clear lake and good for skiing and fishing. There isn't a lot to see on the lake because it is undeveloped except for the Parks and marina. So we will look for some smooth water and a nice cove to anchor, swim, play games, and socialize. We come to Dana Peak to camp right on the lake, boat, and hike and bike the trails within the park.
Cool Nearby Activities:
We love to scoot into Salado, about 25 minutes east for shopping, golf, or restuarants. Click here to learn more about what there is to see and do in the quaint village of Salado.
There are over 5 miles of great hiking trails in the Chalk Ridge Falls Park which is on the south end of the dam, about 25 minutes from the campground. This trail is outstanding with waterfalls, a suspension bridge, and some good scenery.
If you like fishing and don't have a boat, then call Bob at Holding the Line Guide Service and he'll pick you up at your campsite and take you fishing. Or on the north east side of the lake at the Stillhouse Hollow Marina, you can rent a pontoon boat, jon boat, or ski deck boat from C&D Watercraft rentals - 254 223-1056.
- Locate This Park:
- Area Map
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of Dana Peak Park
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more