Houston West RV Park Overview:
Just 25 minutes west of Houston in Brookshire is a very nice RV park, Houston West RV Park. The park is conveniently located a half mile north of Interstate 10 which means you have easy access to a major freeway but also have some freeway noise. Houston West RV Park is situated on 15 acres and has all of the amenities that you need for an overnight or longer stay. The Park is very clean and well maintained. The terrain is flat, the roads and site pads are crushed gravel, and there is sufficient room to maneuver a large rig and tow vehicle.
The new owner as of April 2007 is Allison McLarty and she is committed to making sure that the park is clean and that your stay is enjoyable and painless. Since she bought Houston West RV Park she has made a number of significant improvements and is continuing to invest in the park to make it one of the best in Texas. Some of the new or planned improvements include updating the store, modernizing the pool, adding new sites, planting 20 oak trees, building a dock on the lake, adding a game room, and incorporating a Texas Western theme using limestone and wooden ranch fences.
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
Houston West RV Park has 107 RV sites of which 61 are pull throughs. The sites are side-by-side and each site has full hookups (water, 20/30 and some 50 AMP service, and sewer), cable, and a grassy area with a picnic table. The crushed gravel site pads are level, long enough for a big rig and tow vehicle, and wide enough for slides on both sides. The sites have a limited amount of shade from a few trees scattered throughout the Park.
In addition to campsites, there are 3 primitive cabins for rent. The cabins are one room with a queen bed, bunk beds, AC and heating, but no water or bathroom. Some of the other amenities at Houston West RV Park include:
- pool and hot tub
- a pavilion in the pool area
- well stocked fishing pond - catch and release only
- dog run and walking trail around the pond
- kitchen area and laundry room
- free WiFi in the lounge area
- small store with souviners, snacks, ice, staples, beer, and more
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
We enjoyed our one night stay here as we were passing through on the way to Port Aransas. Houston West RV Park is a great place to stay if you want to be near Katy or close to Houston (35 miles). When we stayed here, we didn't have a lot of time to explore the area, but we did head 5 minutes down the road to play 27 holes of golf at River Ridge Golf Course. If you're a golfer, this course is a must if you're in the area - fun, challenging, lots of variety, and excellent condition. You'll find our rating and review of each of the courses on our Golf Course Reviews Page
. Another good course that is near by is Meadowbrook Farms. One of the pictures below is from River Ridge and the other is from Meadowbrook Farms.
Cool Nearby Activities:
If you're looking for something to do when you stay at Houston West RV Park, check out the following. Brookshire has the Blue Barn Fun Farm (30 acre facility that explains the basics of farm animals and farm living) and a museum. Katy has a huge mall (Katy Mills Mall) that is close by and provides great shopping and plenty of choices for restaurants. Katy is also home to Forbidden Gardens - a unique museum that recreates the Forbidden City and the tomb of the first emporer of China.
Houston is only 35 minutes down the road and has something for everyone from an aquarium to the zoo. Sealy is about ten minutes west and has a museum (Heritage Park/Santa Fe Park Museum) and the Lone Star Raceway Park for racing cars or motorcycles.
You're also very close to the Central Texas Bluebonnet Trail which is spectacular when the bluebonnets and wildflowers are in bloom. For golfers, check out our Golf Course Locator Map
to find a nearby golf course - you have some excellent choices that are within a half hour drive. In addition to a fun 9 hole golf course, nearby Stephen F Austin State Park has hiking and biking trails, fishing in the Brazos River, and nature and historical tours. Camping World is a few miles down the road if you need service or parts.
- 866 621-1899
- Website Link
- Locate This Park:
- Area Map
Texas Outside Favorite Sites:
55, 46, or 39
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of Houston West RV Park
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more