Isla Blanca Park Overview:
Review and Rating of Isla Blanca Park on South Padre Island, Texas
Isla Blanca Park is owned and operated by Cameron County and is a very popular destination for summer vacations and winter Texans, most of whom stay 3 to 6 months. The Park is huge with over 600 sites, a mile of pristine beachfront on the Gulf of Mexico, and several thousand feet of waterfront along Laguna Madre Bay. The Park is open to the public and is very popular for beach activities (fishing, surfing, wind surfing, kites, and swimming) and the jetty for fishing.
The RV sites are reasonably priced and based on partial hook-ups, full hook-ups with or without cable TV, premium sites that are closer to the beach, and tent sites. The vast majority of the sites are pull though and most are long enough for a 40' motor home. The sites are level, paved, and close to each other. Limited to no shade or landscaping. Not real scenic and the facilities are dated!
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
Isla Blanca Park has over a mile of pristine beach along the Gulf of Mexico with several beachfront facilities like two large beachfront pavillions with seasonal food and beach rentals, lots of parking, walking trails, and plenty of jetty fishing along the Laguna Madre Bay.
Some of the other amenities include:
- bait shop and a jetty along the bay for fishing
- restrooms and showers
- covered picnic area
- dump station
- bingo hall and activity center with lots of activities (yoga, trivia, dances, game nights, wood carving, pot lucks, and more
Some of the sites are available for long term rental and once you rent a site you have first choice on that site for the next year. Some of the Winter Texans have been coming for several years to the same site and they start to make improvements like fencing, landscaping, wind breaks, patios, pink flamingos, and more.
Isla Blance Park is at the south end of the Park and has easy access (walking, biking, or golf cart) to lots of fun things to see and do on South Pardre Island - fun beach bars with live music, great restaurants, fishing charters, zip lines, segway tours, horseback riding on the beach, jet skis, kayak, Schlitterbahn Water Park, and lots more. Read our article on a Winter Vacation and a Fun Vacation on South Padre Island. Make sure you check out the Christ of the Fisherman statue along the jetty that is a tribute to all the shrimp fisherman who lost their life at sea.
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more