South Llano River State Park Review & Rating
South Llano River State Park Overview:
Review & Rating of South Llano River State Park in Junction, TX
South Llano River State Park sits on 2600 acres that's home to over 250 species of birds, the largest turkey roost in Central Texas, RV and tent sites, 22 miles of hiking and biking trails, and 2.5 miles of riverfront along the gently flowing Llano River.
The Park is well maintained, scenic, and the sites are partially shaded and very spacious. The roads and sites are paved.
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
South Llano River State Park has 56 RV sites with water and 30 AMP electricity hook-ups. The sites are very spacious and level with the hook-ups in the middle of the parking pad. Each site also has a covered picnic table and most sites have limited shade. In addition to the RV sites, there are 6 walk-in tent sites with water only.
Some of the other amenities at South Llano River State Park include:
- State Park Store
- restrooms and showers
- dump station
- picnic area along the river
- scenic overlook
- swimming area
- 4 bird and wildlife observation areas - over 250 species have been sighted in the Park
The over two miles of river frontage is good for fishing, tubing, and swimming. Tubes are available for rent and there are multiple put-in and take-out sites. No shuttle service is available. There is also one designated place for paddlers to park and put-in - bring your own canoes or kayaks, or rent locally. Loaner fishing gear is available at the Park office and a State fishing license isn't required.
There are over 22 miles of trails that range from easy to difficult with dramatic inclines. The trails cross river bottoms, steep ridges, and wooded areas. Check out the State Park's interactive trail map o learn more about the trails.
South Llano River State Park is home to one of the largest turkey roosts in Central Texas. Turkeys roost from Oct. 1 through March 31.
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
When we stay here our intent is to enjoy the spacious, play some games, and cook some delicious meals. We've ridden a couple of the trails and spent a lot of time in the river. We've also played a round of golf on the 9 holes at Junction Golf Club.
Cool Nearby Activities:
Use this interactive map of Junction to find some fun things to see and do in and around Junction.
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of South Llano River State Park
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more