Fielder Museum

The Fielder Museum is located at the corner of Fielder and Abram streets in Arlington. The two-story building, a community landmark, was built in 1914 as the home of James Park and Mattie (Barnes) Fielder, Sr. Fielder was a successful lawyer, banker, farmer, and philanthropist, who had come to Texas from Tennessee in 1884. The Fielder House was one of the earliest brick homes in Arlington. It had electrical lighting, central heating, a hot-water system, and indoor plumbing. It crowned a 215-acre hilltop farm and became known as the "Home on the Hill." It was surrounded by large oaks and reportedly had one of the finest fruit orchards and vegetable gardens in the county. 

In 1977-78 a group of Arlington citizens successfully campaigned for the preservation and restoration of the Fielder home. It was opened in April 1980 as the Fielder Museum. The purpose of the museum is the collection, preservation, and interpretation of local and county historical materials. The museum houses a permanent display of local artifacts including the extensive J. W. Dunlop collection of over 200 early local photographs. One permanent classroom has been furnished, and two galleries provided for changing exhibits. Annual events at the museum include the Community Christmas Tree Lighting, the Arlington Art Association Annual Juried Show, and a Fall Fest. Museum classes are scheduled throughout the year for youths and adults on a variety of subjects. The museum's education outreach program is designed to aid the public schools in their study of local and state history. Historical programs are also given to the community and organizations upon request. The museum administrator and staff publish a monthly newsletter and calendar of events, The Field World. Eight to ten exhibits are displayed at the museum per year. The Fielder House is a creative historical learning center and is designed to be a working museum. It has two state historical markers, a subject marker for James Fielder, and a building marker for the home itself. Both were placed in 1979 and dedicated on April 20, 1980, at the opening of the museum.


The museum is open Wednesday through Friday from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 1:30 - 4:30 p.m. Nearby historic cabins are open by appointment only.

817-460-4001 (Exit south off I-30 at Fielder Rd.)


BIBLIOGRAPHY: Dallas Morning News, April 18, 1982. Fielder House and Museum Scrapbooks, Fielder House Reference Library, Arlington, Texas. Fort Worth Star-Telegram, March 1, 1980. Rene Harris and Arista Joyner, Arlington, A Pictorial History (Norfolk, Virginia: Donning, 1982).
Texas Travel Guide 2001, published by the Texas Department of Transportation.

"FIELDER MUSEUM." The Handbook of Texas Online. <http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/FF/lbf4.html> [Accessed Tue Dec 18 9:13:59 US/Central 2001 ].

School teachers and such are encouraged to contact TXDOT or The Handbook of Texas Online with their corrections.

About Texas Outside

Texas Outside has been alive & well since 1996 - that's ancient by today's internet standards! Texas Outside was originally developed by Lone Star Internet which is an Austin based web development company with an excellent reputation & client base. In March of 2006, we purchased Texas Outside & made a commitment to add new, exciting, & informative content on Texas outdoor activities & fun things to see & do.

Read More >>>

Contact Us

Please feel free to send us your suggestions.

Suggestions or Comments: