Featured Campground of the Month
Colonia del Rey Review & Rating
Colonia del Rey Overview:
Review and Rating of Colonia del Rey RV Park in Corpus Christi
Colonia del Rey RV Park is a full service private park. Colonia del Rey means "Colony of the Kings" and this park is well deserving of that title. It is the "Highest Rated RV Park" in Corpus Christi and Trailer Life gave Colonia del Rey an excellent 27.5 out of 30 rating - 10 on restrooms, 9.5 on facilities, and 8 on location!
The roads are paved and big rigs should be able to maneauver easily. The park is well treed and landscaped and most sites have lots of shade. If you plan on visiting some of the Corpus attractions, ask for coupons and savings at the front desk. The park is conveniently located to shopping, plenty of restaurants, and a freeway to quickly access the downtown attractions or the beach.
Colonia del Rey has been a family owned park for over 40 years, and Ernie and Wanda Sims bought the park in 1989. They have made a number of improvements like updating the lots with 50 amp service and concrete pads. They are working hard at keeping this park in excellent condition and ensuring that it maintains its high ratings.
Colonia del Rey is clean and very well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpfull and the monthly renters are also friendly and outgoing.
Amenities and Fun Things To Do:
Colonia del Rey has over 200 sites with a mixture of back-in and pull throughs which are designated as regular, preferred, and premium. A majority of the sites are for long-term or monthly renters but over 35 sites are kept open for short-term daily renters.
The sites are side-by-side and packed together tightly and all of the short-term sites are pull throughs with convenient hook-ups for water, electric (30 and 50 AMP), and sewer. The parking pads are level and long (we had plenty of room for our 42' motor home and Jeep tow vehicle) and the parking pad and picnic table area are concrete. Each site has a picnic table and grassy area. You can find a shaded or open site.
Some of the amenities at Colonia del Rey include:
- extra long (up to 95') sites, that are level and have extra wide concrete pads
- wireless Internet and cable TV
- pool (refurbished in 2016)
- clean private showers and restrooms
- laundry room with updated equipment
- post office
- recreation hall with a book exchange, and kitchen and game tables (which were well used each evening during our visit)
- office with staples and brochures
- fenced-in pet area
Colonia del Rey hosts a variety of events and activities like pot lucks, dances, golf and bowling outings, and more. There is also a game night with poker, cribbage, hand and foot, and bridge tournaments and there is a "Texas Hold 'Em" Tournament almost every week.
A Typical Texas Outsider Day:
We love to stay at Colonia del Rey when we want to explore Corpus Christi and enjoy some of the activities, beachs, and restaurants. Some of what we did on our last visit included:
- golf at Oso Beach Municipal Golf Course and Lozano Golf Center which has an 18 and 9 hole course - the links will take you to our review of each course
- a visit to the Texas State Aquarium (an outstanding aquarium with excellent shows), then lunch on the deck of Pier 99, and a tour of the USS Lexington
- bike along Ocean Drive and Shoreline Drive and enjoy the views of the bay, the marina and boats, the skyline, and some beautiful houses - on this trip we also enjoyed a tasty lunch at Harrison's Landing on the outdoor deck in the middle of the marina
Cool Nearby Activities:
Corpus Christi is one of our favorite Texas cities because it offers lots to see and do. Some of our favorites include:
- enjoy the Gulf coast beaches for swimming, fishing, windsurfing, or relaxing
- fish - Corpus has lots of opportunities for fishing from the beach, bays, or deep sea charter boats
- explore Padre Island National Seashore
- visit the Texas State Aquarium and the USS Lexington Museum
- visit the Art Museum of South Texas and the Museum of Science and History
- take a surfing, windsurfing, or kitesailing lesson
- take a boat tour or rent a jet ski or kayak and get out on the water
- enjoy the restaurants and nightlife on Water Street or music at Brewster Street Ice House
Here is a link to our Cruisin' Around Coupus Article with lots ideas of things to do. Visit Texas Outside's Guide to Corpus Christi to learn more about the above and other things to see and do in Corpus Christi and read our Top Ten Fun Things To Do in Corpus Christi. Make sure you check with Colonia del Rey before you leave, they may have some discount coupons for you to use.
- Overall Rating:
- Scenic Beauty:
- Things To Do:
Additional Pictures of Colonia del Rey
Texas Outside uses a tough rating scale and it’s difficult for a campground to get a “10”. Each park is rated on:
- Scenic Beauty: a campground that is flat with no trees or character gets a “1” and hills, lots of trees, beautiful lake site, and lush ground cover gets a “10”
- Park Condition: the cleaner, well kept, and maintained campgrounds receive high scores
- Amenities: we are looking for lots of amenities like restrooms, dump stations, playgrounds, boat ramps, shelters, concession stand, rental toys, and more.
- Campsites: low scores are given for sites that are right next to each other (good for getting to know your neighbors, but not what we’re looking for when we’re camping); have no lantern holder, no water or electricity, no fire pit, no grill, or no picnic table (or it’s rotten wood); have no trees and no view; the ground cover is crushed rock (my bare feet hate that stuff!); and they require a lot of work to get your rig level.
- Things To Do: Bonus points are given for campgrounds that offer lots of fun things to do at the park or very nearby – this includes: biking, hiking, climbing, boating, entertainment, golf, swimming, fishing, volleyball, horseshoes, and more