South Shore Harbour Resort Golf Stay & Play Review
If you are looking for a Houston area golf stay and play package, then read on - this page is for you golfers who want to play some very good golf courses, stay in a nice resort with several amenities to enjoy, and enjoy all the things to see and do around the resort. Until recently we hadn't found any resorts between The Woodlands and Galveston that have any Stay & Play packages and everything else you would expect at a resort. There are plenty of hotel options but nothing with resort style amenities and an attractive golf Stay & Play package. But we finally found what we were looking for at South Shore Harbour Resort - good amenities, comfy accommodations, full service restaurant, lots of things to see and do nearby, and some excellent courses to play as part of their golf package.
South Shore Harbour Resort is in a perfect area for golf and it's loaded with plenty of things to see and do when you're not golfing. The Resort is about 25 miles south of all the action in downtown Houston, 20 miles north of the beaches at Galveston, and positioned on the shore of Clear Lake in the vibrant community of League City. As a guest at South Shore Harbour Resort, the Resort's Golf Stay & Play Package allows you to play two very good private golf courses with 27 holes each - Canongate at South Shore Harbour and Canongate at Magnolia Creek. If you happen to tire of playing those courses, you'll have easy access to a number of other good courses in the area.
South Shore Harbour Golf Stay & Play Package
South Shore Harbour Resort is located less than 5 minutes from 27 holes at Canongate at South Shore Harbour Golf Course. Each of the three nines has it's own unique characteristics and personality but common to all is a fairly traditional layout with flat to gently rolling fairways, water hazards, plenty of bunkers, challenging greens, and a steady wind that beats off the bay. Each of the nines was originally designed by Dave Marr and Jay Riviere and was renovated and augmented by Jeffery Blume in the late 1990s.
The Shore Nine at Canongate at South Shore Harbour is regarded as the most challenging thanks to tough greens, thicker roughs, and tighter fairways. The Harbour Nine has water on 7 holes but it's a little shorter and more forgiving from tee to green. South plays the longest and has the highest slope and rating, but plays easier than the Shore Nine and harder than the Harbour nine. Read our review South Shore Harbour's Shore Course and our review South Shore Harbour's Harbour Course to learn more about each of these courses.
The other course that you can play as part of the South Shore Harbour Resort Golf Stay & Play Package is Canongate at Magnolia Creek, which is about 10 minutes west of the Resort. Magnolia Creek is home to 3 fantastic nine hole courses that were designed by Thomas E Clark and are about as similar and authentic as you can get in Texas to St. Andrews, North Berwick, and Royal County Down. Each of the three nines - England, Scotland, and Ireland - are truly unique to Texas and they capture the best of the British Isles. Even the flag poles are wooden like you'll find across the pond. The Magnolia Creek Courses are haracterized by dramatic mounding, deep entrenched bunkers, spacious rolling contoured fairways, native grasses, challenging green complexes, and at times, strong winds. If you like a links style course, it just doesn't get much better than what you'll find here and even if you don't like a links course, you can't help but enjoy playing these fun and demanding, but fair, golf holes in excellent condition from tee to pin.. Read our review Magnolia Creek's Scotland Course and our review Magnolia Creek's England Course to learn why both of these course made our Top 20 Resort Courses List.
After you've played both of those courses, you should check out some of the other golf courses that are close to League City. You've got lots of choices and you can use this Houston Area Golf Map to help you quickly find a course and read our review. Or better yet, pick a few courses from our list of what we consider the Best Houston Area Golf Courses. A couple that we would highly recommend that are fairly close to South Shore Harbour Resort include Wildcat Golf Club, Moody Gardens in Galveston, Sienna Plantation, and Redstone Golf Course.
South Shore Harbour Resort Amenities
South Shore Harbour Resort rises 11 stories above the south shore of Clear Lake and overlooks a marina with over 1000 motor and sailboats of all shapes and sizes, a lot of which are huge beautiful yachts. In fact, this area is home to the third largest concentration of pleasure boats in the United States. Make sure that sometime during your stay you walk down and along the marina and check out the jaw dropping boats - wow!.
When we stayed at South Shore Harbour Resort, we were on the 11th floor and had a magnificent view of the marina, the Clear Lake area, and out toward Galveston Bay! The Resort has 240 newly renovated guest rooms and suites and we found our room to be very comfortable with a king sized bed, desk, large flat screen, internet, shower, mini refrigerator, coffee maker, cozy chair, and a view to die for.
Some of the other South Shore Harbour Resort amenities include:
- 185 foot tropical pool with a waterfall and swim-up bar overlooking the marina
- 25,000 square feet of meeting space
- access to a 130,000 square foot health club and spa with an indoor/outdoor track, tennis courts, sauna, whirlpool, massages, and a large gym with everything you need to loose some calories from all the good food you ate at the Resort
- lobby bar with food service
- Paradise Reef Restaurant which serves a good breakfast buffet, lunch, and dinner with everything from starters like Panko Fried Shrimp, Crab Cakes, or Ceviche; to soups and salads; and a variety of entrees like Chipotle Shrimp and Grits, Crawfish Etouffee, Snapper, Chicken Oscar (very tasty), Cajun Jambalaya Pasta, and Rib Eye Steak with Burgundy Mushrooms - yummm!
After you have enjoyed the golf courses, pool, fitness center, and restaurant you'll still have plenty to see and do, some of which includes:
- Clear Lake is a 2000 acre inlet of Galveston Bay and you might consider a dinner cruise, a sunset sail, or just rent a boat or kayak and tour the lake at your leisure - here is a list of some boat rental options
- visit the nearby Kemah boardwalk and enjoy the fun bars, good restaurants, shops, aquarium, rides, and more - use this Kemah map to help you find some things to see and do
- go fishing with a kayak fishing guide or try fishing for the big boys in Galveston Bay or the Gulf of Mexico
- visit any of the nearby attractions including: Armand Bayou Nature Center, Gulf Greyhound Racing Park, Haak Vineyards and Winery, Space Center Houston, and NASA's Johnson Space Center
- explore all that Houston has to offer from attractions to shopping to museums to biking to zoos