Top Ten Things To See & Do in Fredericksburg
Here is a list of Texas Outside's fun things to see and do in Fredericksburg
- Shopping - from savory delectables from Das Peach Haus to fine jewelry design you can wander the streets of Fredericksburg for days finding wonderful gifts, sculptures, furniture, clothing in their more than 150 shops. I believe they call it "shopping heaven".
- Golf - there are great courses in and around Fredericksburg - check out the Golf Section of Texas Outside to read reviews, locate the Fredericksburg golf courses, find specials, and book a tee time - read our review of Boot Ranch which is a Texas Outside Favorite and rated 9.6 stars. Use this Fredericksburg Golfing Map to find other nearby courses.
- Wineries/Vineyards and Tours- The Texas Wine Trail is the road map to the Texas Wine Country and Fredericksburg is in the heart of the wine trail with just about as many wineries as Napa in California - over 20 with 20 minutes and more on the way! You can drive from winery to winery to sample some wine or you can hire a winery tour company like Majesty Tours to customize a wine tour for you.
- Historic Sites and Museums - Just 15 minutes from Fredericksburg is Luckenbach Texas an old dance hall established in 1849 and home to some great music almost every day of the week; Lyndon B.Johnson State Park: National Museum of the Pacific War; National Historic District Heart of Fredericksburg listed in the National Register of Historic Places;and so much more
- Spas - what better place to lose yourself for a day than in a hill country spa such as Above and Beyond Day Spa, European Day Spa of Fredericksburg, Inn on Barons Creek Spa, or Serenity Day Spa.
- Parks and Outdoors - Witness three million bats emerge from their home at the Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area or check out: one of
the oldest trail landmarks in Texas at Enchanted Rock which is the second largest granite formation in North America which makes it one of the best climbing venues in Texas; Lady Bird Johnson State Park; Quiet Hill Ranch is the ultimate birding and wildlife area and ideal for nature photography and fishing opportunities can be found at Lady Bird Johnson Park and area lakes.
- Restaurants/Nightlife - Discover the Fredericksburg Flavor with its diverse choices of restaurants from German to BBQ to Tex Mex and everything in between. With all the wonderful cuisine you can also enjoy wonderful live entertainment at a number of places while you eat.
- Biking & Hiking - The back roads of Gillespie County provide miles of scenic views for road bicycle riding. Mountain biking enthusiasts will enjoy Hill Country State Natural Area, near Bandera and Pedernales Falls State Park, near Johnson City, or Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort. Live Oak Wilderness Trail
has 10 plus acres of natural landscape that can be enjoyed from a one-mile walking trail along Live Oak Creek. Or spend a day climbing to the top of Enchanted Rock or hiking the trails. For more information, visit www.cycletexas.com and www.texasvelo.com.
- Camping - Camping in the beautiful hill country can be found at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park, Lost Maples State Natural Area, Enchanted Rock State Park, Guadalupe River/Honey Creek, Hill Country State Natural Area, Pedernales Falls, South Llano River. These parks offer hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing and swimming. Go to Texas RV and Campgrounds to find more camping in Texas. There are also several RV Parks in and around Fredericksburg.
- Bed and Breakfast - The setting of Fredericksburg is perfect for Bed and Breakfast establishments such as Barons Creekside with its natural setting along the creek; or nestled in a rural pasture, A Barn at the Quarry; and rustic charm abounds at Ada's Peach Street Hideaway Guest House. For more information on B&B's.