Cruisin' Around Corpus Christi
We love Corpus Christi it is one of our favorite Texas cities to spend a weekend, a vacation, or a few days playing. Corpus is loaded with good lodging, great restaurants, RV parks, fun nightlife, several interesting attractions, and lots to see and do in and around the city of Corpus. Take a look at ourand our to see where all this fun stuff is located.
Here's what we enjoy doing when we visit Corpus Christi for a weekend getaway:
Stay at a RV Resort - we bring the motorhome and typically stay at Colonia del Rey because it's clean, has long level sites, good amenities, and it's conveniently locatedto lots to see and do. Here is a link to the Corpus Christi RV Park Locator Map which will have our review and rating of some Corpus Christi RV Parks. There are lots of other choices for lodging and several are along the bay.
Bike, Walk, or Jog Along the Seawall - there is a fantastic wide paved path that runs from downtown along the water, past the marina, and up the hill by some nice homes on a bluff overlooking the bay - Shoreline Drive and Ocean Drive. You'll cruise by some beautiful boats in the marina and a big playground for the kids if you brought them. It's an easy and scenic ride. Take a break from the ride and rent a kayak or wave runner and stop for a bite to eat or margarita on the outside patios overlooking the marina at Landry's, Joe's Crab Shack, or Harrison's Landing
Visit some of the Attractions - the Texas State Aquarium and USS Lexington are great as is the Art Museum and the History and Science Museum. Check out Heritage Park with historical homes dating back to 1851.
Go Fishing - Corpus is well known for fishing and you've got lots of choices to catch a trophy or enough fish to feed all your relatives for a week - at the marina you'll find several eager to take you fishing, or call one of these local Corpus Christi fishing guides or check at the marina for some fishing boats or break out your own gear and cast a line from the shore, one of the piers, or head to the beach for some surf fishing
Enjoy the Water - you can't visit Corpus without spending some time on the water, here are several choices:
- At the marina, rent a paddle boat, jet ski, or kayak
- Charter a sail boat for an afternoon or evening sail
- Jump on board Captain Clark's 200 passenger Paddle wheeler for a tour of the bay, sunset or a dinner cruise
- get some air and excitement by taking a kiteboarding lesson from South Coast Kiteboarding
Eat, Drink, and Party - in the downtown area you have excellent choices for all three, most of which you can bike or walk to from the marina:
- On Water Street, the Executive Surf Club has good burgers, cold beer, and live music on the patio
- Water Street Cafe and Oyster Bar has excellent seafood
- Brewster Street Ice House is the place to go for live music and a fun crowd
- If you're on the other side of the bridge and you're hungry or thirsty after touring the Aquarium or Lexington, then Blackbeards has good food and live music and Pier 99 has a fantastic outdoor patio and pretty good food
Play in the Sand - if you like to play in the sand, you'll find miles of Gulf of Mexico beach front and several local golf courses that have plenty of sand bunkers waiting for you.
- All the beaches seem the same to us, so pick a Gulf beach access road and drive on the beach until you find the perfect spot for a picnic, fishing, games, surfing, kit flying, or just relaxing watching the surf and sunset.