La Grange Population- 4,303 Altitude- 272
La Grange is located where an old buffalo trail later known as La Bahia Road crossed the Colorado River. The town developed in 1831, becoming the seat of Fayette County in 1837 and developing as a pivotal point on the Texas Pioneer Trail, which covers a four county area. Oral tradition tells us that the town and county were named by the first settlers for their home town and county in Tennessee. "Historic Oak" on the north side of the town square was the muster point for men in six conflicts.
Downtown La Grange includes a classic Texas 1890's courthouse, the old county jail, an 1886 MKT Depot, several historic markers and the St. James Episcopal Church, circa 1885 at 156 North Monroe Street.
Contact the La Grange Area Chamber of Commerce, on town square at 129 North Main Street, or call (409) 968-5756 for information on dining, accommodations, bed and breakfasts in historic buildings, and other attractions.
Fayette Heritage Museum and Archives -
This museum features local art and genealogical collections. Open Tuesday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 1 p.m., Sunday 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. 855 south Jefferson.
Kreisch Brewery State Historic Site -
Ruins of the stone brewery and house built by stonemason Heinrich L. Kreisch who came to La Grange in the 1840's are adjacent to the Monument Hill State Historic Site (see below). Kreich's brewery was one of the first commercial breweries in Texas and produced in excess of 7-- barrels in one year. Guided tours tell the story of this German immigrant and details of the brewing process as it existed more than a century ago. Tours only on Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 and 3:30 p.m.
Monument Hill State Historic Site -
Visit the final resting place of the men who drew the fateful black bean after the failure and capture of the Meir Expedition against Mexico. The Mexican Government, which refused to recognize the sovereignty of the Republic of Texas, invaded Texas in 1842. A militia of the citizenry, led by Captain Dawson, fought the Mexican army and lost. The defeated soldiers were forced to draw beans to determine who would be shot and killed by lottery. Forty one of Captain Damson's men were massacred by the Mexican army at Salado Creek (one of five streams in Texas named Salado) near San Antonio. The monument is a handsome 48 foot tall marker of stone, bronze and polychrome. The historic site features a visitor's center, self guided tour, wheel chair accessible, interpretive trail, nature trail, picnic areas, and playground. Open daily, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Group tours with refreshments are available.
For information, call (409) 968-5658. Two miles south off U.S. 77, Spur 92. Admission (includes Kreische Brewery tour when offered).
Scenic Drives -
U.S. 77 southwest to F.M. 2436 to Hoyston. Be sure to Stop by the Holy Rosary Catholic Church to see the Hoyston Grotto. First Texas highway roadside park 10 miles west on Texas 71; also, scenic overlook of Colorado River Valley. Other scenic drives thoughout this area, especially pretty during bluebonnet and Indian blanket flowering season.
Winedale Historical Center -
Restored farm houses, log cabins, blacksmith's shop and other historic buildings from the 1830's. See Round Top.
La Grange Resources