Lago Vista Golf Course Review
Lago Vista Golf Course Review
Review of Lago Vista Golf Course - Lago Vista
Sitting peacefully on the North Shore of Lake Travis is a fantastic golf course that offers scenic views, plenty of elevation changes, excellent conditions, lots of variety, and some really fun holes, all at a great value. Lago Vista Golf Club which is owned and operated by the City of Lago Vista was designed by Leon Howard and opened for play as a nine hole course in 1971. Shortly after opening, another nine holes was added.
The City of Lago Vista recently acquired the Highland Lakes Course which is a couple miles from the Lago Vista Clubhouse and it is also a fantastic layout. Highland Lakes is more challenging with multi-level TIF Dwarf greens, dramatic elevation changes, and some demanding and unique holes. Read our review of Highland Lakes Golf Course.
What a fun course Lago Vista Golf Course is to play - every hole is a little different then the one you just played, the views are stunning, the deer seem to own the course, the elevation changes add some excitement, and the course will throw a little bit of everything at you. You'll encounter some wide open as well as some very tight tree lined fairways, elevation changes that will require you to club up or down, terraced fairways, demanding greens, blind shots, tough approach shots, water and bunkers, risk reward opportunities, and lots more.
Some of our favorite holes include:
- #2 is the #2 handicap and it's a beaut - 562 yards with a risk reward shot off an elevated tee box, a dog leg right, a valley to cross, and an uphill shot to the green
- #9 is a blast - check out the layout before you tee off - it's a short 376 yard blind tee shot down a 5 level terraced fairway (each of which has a big downhill drop) to a small green with some severe slope - big hitters can risk flying the trees and trying to stuff it on or close to the green
- accuracy is needed from tee to cup on #10 which is a 502 yard par 5 with a tight fairway with water along the right side and a severe sloping rough and trees on the left plus a huge sprawling oak tree that can block the shot to the green which has 3 bunkers guarding it
- #13 has an uphill blind shot and a cluster of trees splitting the fairway and #14 is only 294 yards but it's uphill, has 3 bunkers, and trees on the left and right that can block your tee shot or second shot
- #16 is a "Kodak Moment" and a fun hole - beautiful view of Lake Travis and a 367 yard down hill shot to the green along a fairly tight fairway
When we played in May 2013, the conditions were excellent - it seemed like we were playing on an upscale country club course. The fairways were lush and plush and didn't have a lot of divots and the greens were in very good condition.
The Lago Vista Golf Course fairways range from tight to "let-er-rip", are heavily contoured and rolling with some huge elevation changes, and they are tree lined or lined by homes or creeks, all of which will cause you to reload. The deer are everywhere and they don't like getting hit and don't under "fore." The roughs range from small to fairly wide and with thick grass to dirt and weeds,
The greens were also in excellent condition, fairly soft and held the ball well, and ran at a good speed. They range in size from small to a little above average. The back nine greens seemed a little tougher with more slope and contour - some had a severe bowl type slope on one side. Some are raised and 9 have two bunkers guarding them.
The Lago Vista bunkers were also in great shape with somewhat soft and thick sand. The faces ranged from manageable to steep. The good news is that they seemed easy to avoid.
Bottom line - go out of your way to play this course and enjoy the scenic drive from Austin to get to it!
Course Slope & Ratings
Texas Outside Rating
- Overall Rating:
- 9.4 out of 10
- Fun to Play:
- Front Nine Rating:
- Back Nine Rating:
FEES & AMENITIES
Rates: $35.00 to $39.00
Service is friendly, the pro shop has the basics, the clubhouse has a full menu, and the practice facilities are adequate.