Teravista Golf Club Review
Teravista Golf Club Review
Review of Teravista Golf Course Round Rock, Texas
Teravista Golf Club in Round Rock is one of those courses that you walk into the club house, order a beer, and say "that's a great course and a fun round." It also offers you an opportunity to have a low scoring round! Teravista Golf Club opened in 2002, is currently managed by Eagle Golf (one of the best with a portfolio of excellent courses), and over the years since opening it has been consistently recognized as one of the best courses in Austin as well as Texas.
Teravista has 5 sets of tee boxes with yardages ranging from 3744 to 7039 making it golfer friendly for all levels of play. It's a links style course with lots of bunkers, plenty of water, and gently rolling terrain that meanders through the Teravista community. Most of the fairways are wide and forgiving but the course will throw a lot at you during your round, some of which includes:
- minor uphill and downhill shots
- forced carries over creeks, ponds, and natural areas
- 57 strategically placed fairway and greenside bunkers
- water that can come into play on 10 holes
- challenging approach shots to the greens
Pick the right set of tee boxes, play strategically, and don't let some of the risk reward shots tempt you and you'll find the course very friendly and you'll most likely walk into the club house and not have to buy drinks!
Some of the Teravista Golf Course holes that we really liked included:
- #2 is a 455 yard par 4 (#2 handicap) that is a sharp dog leg right and offers and excellent risk reward shot if you think you can fly the trees and bunkers to significantly shorten the hole
- #5 puts a premium on the approach shot - the green has 3 hidden bunkers and water surrounding 3 quarters of it
- #12 is fun - a 414 yard par 4 that horseshoes left around a lake and requires a good tee shot to stay out of the lake and avoid the bunker and an accurate approach shot to miss the lake and stuff it on an oblong green - from the tee box you've got a great risk reward shot to fly more of the lake and make the approach shot shorter and you might also have another one to fly the lake on the approach shot
- #16 is a fun 545 yard par 5 that requires some shot making to avoid the natural area crossing the fairway and waiting for your drive, the big fairway bunkers, the creek crossing in front of the raised green, and two bunkers guarding the green
When we played in late July, the fairways and rough were in excellent condition. The majority of the fairways are forgiving off the tee but there are lots huge fairway bunkers. Trees and homes and natural areas line most of the fairways. The rough is wide and cut somewhat thick but very playable.
The greens at Teravista Golf Club were also near perfect, very soft, ran true, and at a good speed of 10 to 11. They range in size (mostly very large) and shape from oblong to light bulb and lots of other interesting shapes. Some are raised and all are well guarded, putting a premium on your approach shots. The putting surfaces vary from relatively flat to some significant slope and tiers. We didn't have any problem reading the breaks.
The bunkers ranged in shape and size from steep pot bunkers to some huge multi-fingered monsters - and there are around 55 of them that you need to avoid! The bunkers were wet from a recent rain so it was hard to judge the sand - it was firm, a little gritty, and thin and some of the bunkers needed some work around the edges. We were told that there is a major effort underway to upgraded and iimprove the bunkers. A thick fringe around the bunkers may stop a ball from rolling into the bunker, but you'll still have a challenging shot.
Teravista Golf Club is focused on pace of play and stresses "ready golf." They will pair singles and doubles up and marshals make sure that the golfers don't dilly dally! The end result is an enjoyable and fast round of golf - we were done in a little over 3 hours.
Head Pro's Corner
The Kids Play Free program is an affordable way to introduce kids to the game. With every paid adult, one child 15 years old and under plays for free. And we even throw in the cart. We also offer ladies "2 of 1" green fees and there are senior and resident discounts.
We focus on "ready golf" to provide a shorter and more enjoyable round of golf. Singles and doubles are traditionally paired together.
Course Slope & Ratings
Texas Outside Rating
- Overall Rating:
- 8.9 out of 10
- Fun to Play:
- Front Nine Rating:
- Back Nine Rating:
FEES & AMENITIES
Rates: $27.00 to $69.00
Service is very good - the cart girl showed up every 4 holes or so. The practice facilities are very good, the pro shop is well stocked, and the food and drinks are good at the Cafe. The carts are great with a ball and club washer and an excellent touch screen GPS