Glen Rose Top Ten Fun Things To See & Do
Glen Rose is a fun and quaint town that was established as a trading post in 1849. The city is located at a picturesque spot on the Paluxy River, just above its meeting with the Brazos River. We love Glen Rose and have spent a number of weekends there - to learn about one of the trips, read this Thank God For Weekends article.
Here is our list of favorite things to see and do in Glen Rose.
- Golf - Squaw Valley Golf Course is located at the north eastern edge of town and they have 18 holes of very good golf. 17 miles to the north is another great golf course in Granbury - Harbor Lakes which is ranked in our Top Twenty Favorite Texas Courses. You can read a review of each of these golf course on our .
- Spend the Night - if you really want to enjoy Glen Rose and all it has to offer, you need to spend a couple days exploring. You have a number of excellent choices for for overnight lodging:
- there are some excellent B&Bs and we can recommend , a rustic farm that was voted Top Family Vacations and Best Kid Friendly this rustic farm
- stay at an upscale and excellent resort with excellent food, fine accommodations, and lots to do
- enjoy an exotic overnight stay at
- Camp at which is an fun State Park and has some great tent and RV sites. at the other end of town has over 200 sites for RVs or tents, cabins, swimming pool, volleyball, and it is on the banks of the Brazos and Paluxy River.
- Visit a Nuclear Power Plant - Comanche Peak has a very informative information center with an exhibit of a nuclear power plant control room, a film, and more
- Enjoy a Special Event - plan your trip around one of the special events at Texas Amphitheater (The Promise, a musical drama of the reenactment of the life of Jesus in the open air amphitheater, is excellent) or horse shows and more at the Expo Center
- Hike, Bike, and Explore - Dinosaur Valley State Park is a great place to spend some time: hiking or biking the trails; leaning about dinosaurs and checking out their tracks or visiting the exhibits; playing in the Paluxy River; or just enjoying a picnic
- Visit the Museums - Somervell Country Historical Museum depicts local history, fossils, and relics; Creation Evidences Museum includes artifacts and fossil displays, dinosaur footprints and bones, and more; and Barnard Mill and Art Museum is in one of the first structures built in the 1860's and houses art, primitive artifacts, and bronzes.
- Tube the Brazos or Play in the Rivers - a few miles north east of Glen Rose on 67 there are canoe and tube outfitters (Rhodes Rentals 254-897-4214) for riding the Brazos (not the most thrilling ride but a fun way to spend a few hours) or fish, swim, or relax in the water. The kids will enjoy the water and rocks at Big Rocks Park which is close to downtown.
- Listen to Some Good Music - Glen Rose is known as the Blue Grass Capital of Texas and throughout the yearTresRios and Oakdale Park have bluegrass concerts with some excellent bands and musicians
- Stroll the Downtown Area - Glen Rose has a quaint downtown square featuring shops,restaurants, a museum, and the historic Somervell County Courthouse or go play in the Paluxy River at the park
- Feed the Exotic Animals - Fossil Rim Wildlife Center features some of the worlds most endangerd animals like white rhino, cheetah, and Grevy's zebra plus over 60 species that roam on the 2700 acres. You can drive your vehicle through the park and view the animals, some of which willstick their head in the window; stop at the top of the mountain for food, souvenirs, the museum, nature trail, picnic area, and petting zoo; or enjoy the park on one of their special bike safaris.