Traditions Club Golf CommunitySitting on over 1,000 acres with gorgeous oak trees, meandering creeks, small ponds, and gently rolling terrain, in Bryan Texas is one of the best private golf clubs and residential golf communities in Texas. Some of the reasons why Traditions Club is one of the best golf communities in Texas is because it:
- is home to an outstanding 18 hole championship golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus
- has a variety of choices of traditional and estate homesites plus Custom Estate Homes, Garden Homes, Casitas, Game Day Cottages, Condominiums, and Villas
- offers several different membership options to fit your needs and budget
- is home to some outstanding resort style amenities
- is close to Aggieland and all that it has to offer
Traditions Club Facts
Traditions Club opened in 2004 and homsites hit the market in April of that year. The first home was finished six months later and Jack Nicklaus teed off for the first round on the course in October. The community is a public/private partnership between a private development company and the city of Bryan, Texas. Honorary Founding members include President George H.W. Bush ("41"), Heisman Trophy winner John David Crow and Jack Nicklaus. Among other prominent members are former football coach R. C. Slocum, current A.D. Bill Byrne, Women's Basketball Coach Gary Blair, retired NFL Referee "Red" Cashion and Dr. Nancy Dickey, president of the TAMU Health Science Center. In 2009, an ownership group of four Aggies out of Houston acquired Traditions Club and made significant improvements, some of which included the clubhouse and swimming pool complex.
In 2014 210 single family homes were occupied and when the community is completed there will be 450 homes. Homesites range from 1/4 acre garden sites to sprawling estate sites over an acre in size with prices ranging from $499,000 to over $4 million. The terrain is gently rolling and heavily treed with gorgeous oaks, it's well landscaped and maintained, and several homsites overlook the fairways. There are only a handful of desirable properties left that range from .2 to .72 acres and the homes range from 1800 to 8000 square feet with minimum square footage requirements depending on the neighborhood. As we drove around Traditions Club what impressed us (besides some huge beautiful homes) was the gently rolling and heavily treed terrain, how well maintained both the home sites and common areas are, the large amount of common or greenbelt areas, and the open, spacious, and country feeling you get as you tour the community.
In addition to homesites, the newest addition to Traditions Club are the Hidden Bridge Condominiums which are two or three bedroom and bathroom condos with or without garages. The Condominiums have golf course views of hole #2, are walking distance to the swim center, clubhouse, and pro shop. All of the Condominiums are nicely appointed with hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, travertine tile shower, patio, and more.
Another choice for full or part-time (ie, whenever the Aggies have a home game) living in Traditions Club includes the Casitas and Cottages. Architecturally inspired by the 2006 Southern Living Idea House, the two to five bedroom Casitas and Cottages are available for purchase and can be put into a rental pool as a part of the Traditions Golf Club stay and play offering. Some of the Casitas are overlooking the golf course, some overlook a pond, and all are close to the swimming pool and clubhouse.
You don't have to be an Aggie to join Traditions Club, but when you walk in the door of the clubhouse, you will know you are in Aggieland - a lot of the members are grads and probably wearing something that's maroon, the golf carts are maroon, there are vintage pictures of some A&M history hung everywhere, and the pro shop will blind you with maroon outfits and golf paraphernalia.
Tradition Club Membership Options
There are several different Traditions Club membership options, some of which include: Residential Community Membership with access to all amenities including the golf course; Full Golf Membership; Non-Resident Membership; Corporate Golf Membership; Junior Executive Membership for golfers aged 21 to 34; Social Membership, or Corporate Social Membership. We were shocked at how reasonable the membership fees were for such a quality course and outstanding amenities. Contact Jimmy Walsworth at 979 779-1007 for membership information.
Tradition Club Amenities and Golf Course
Some of the amenities that you can enjoy at Traditions Club include:
- a beautiful and very well done swimming complex with a beach like wading pool for the toddlers, a 25 meter junior Olympic lap pool, and a leisure pool - plus comfortable pool furniture, gazebos, stone waterfalls, 5 LCD big flat screen TVs, an adult-only section with a Bocce ball court, and shuffleboard, and a Grille serving a variety of options from salads to pizzas to burgers or quesadillas
- golf practice facilities including a large putting surface and covered hitting area
- miles of trails for jogging or walking
- an outstanding clubhouse built with a Texas Hill Country architecture with four buildings connected by breezeways plus:
- the 26,000 square foot Century Room dining area with a casual bar and wrap around covered patio which includes a fountain and a conversational pit plus beautiful scenery - we enjoyed a delicious lunch of a prime rib wrap, chile verde pork stew, and chicken salad sandwich
- the Sully Dining Room which is 700 square feet and available for smaller groups or used in conjunction with the Century Room
- underneath the Sully Dining Room sits the unique and luxurious 1876 Wine Cellar, a venue for intimate affairs of up to 14 members and their accompanied guests - richly appointed and surround by wines of all types
- a men’s and women’s locker room with top-notch appointments - the men’s locker room also features a casual grill and bar
- a pro shop that is well stocked with everything you need to look good and play well - a wide range of golf equipment and apparel and of course an entire section devoted to Texas A&M and 12th Man Foundation merchandise
- a fitness center with everything you need to shed some calories from the good food in the Century Room
One of the things that particularly impressed us during our visit was the first class service, attention to detail, and how well maintained and manicured everything was at Traditions. The staff is courteous and friendly and seems dedicated to making sure that your experience is memorable. We also noticed that all of the members we met or encountered were extremely friendly and outgoing - which is not something we have experienced at other private clubs! I have no clue how the locker room attendant knew my name but he ask me "how's your game Mr. Sharp" and later, if Mr. Sharp enjoyed his lunch - all with a big friendly smile on his face.
If you are considering buying at Traditions and want to spend some time exploring the area before making a decision, or if you have a house that's under construction, or if you have friends or family visiting the Traditions then the two, three, and four-bedroom Cottages and Casitas are perfect. They are available for rent by the day, week or month and feature luxuriously furnished spacious living areas, fully-equipped gourmet kitchens, and outdoor patios with grilling areas.
The Paul Wahlberg Aggie Learning Center is impressive and one of the premier college golf facilities in the country and it is available for the Texas A&M golf team's use as well as some private events like executive retreats. There are locker rooms, a players lounge, a double sided driving range, practice greens, covered hitting bays, two indoor bays with state of the art swing and putting analysis equipment, and a multi-acre practice facility with water hazards, bunkers, dedicated wedge practice area, and seven greens that give you an opportunity to practice every shot in golf!
ATLAS is an extension of the Traditions community and offers a true live/work/recreate setting catering to pharmaceutical companies and bio pharma manufacturing. In addition, the ATLAS town center that is under development and will feature a lake, parks, trails, restaurants, and The Atlas Hotel, the region’s first four-star boutique conference center hotel. The Atlas Hotel will open summer 2016.
Traditions Club Golf Course
It's hard to beat all of the above, but from our perspective the shining star at Traditions Club is the 18 hole Jack Nicklaus and Jack Nicklaus II designed golf course - which we consider as one of the Best Private Golf Courses in Texas. They designed a fantastic layout that is fair but very demanding, requires some strategic shot making and course management, and is scenic with stately hardwoods, natural creeks, and wetlands. In fact, Jack stated: "it's an incredible piece of property with the naturally rolling terrain, the large native trees, Turkey Creek....the course really designed itself."
The course offers golfers a little bit of everything from risk reward opportunities to dog legs, forced carries, tight to wide open fairways, 68 white sand bunkers, and water on 14 holes! But it won't beat you up unless you try to be too macho and play from some of the back tees and bring out the big dog when it should remain in the bag. Read our review of Traditions Club to learn more about this spectacular course. To learn more about the Casitas read about our Stay & Play at Traditions Club.
Make sure that before you head out for your round of golf you spend some time warming up on the state-of-the-art practice facilities which includes a double-sided practice range with numerous targets at various distances, a short game area with bunkers, chipping and putting greens, and a full practice hole. The Traditions Club is also one of the few clubs in Texas with a mobile canopy on the range and a practice hole.
Bottom line - if you're looking for a first class golf course, outstanding amenities, friendly community members, and beautiful homes and homesites, then you need to take a close look at Traditions.